Frequently Asked questions (FAQs)

Our frequently asked questions will provide you with some helpful information. If you can't find the answer you are looking for email : [email protected]

What is Rent it Right?

Rent it Right is a voluntary scheme run by the Private Sector Housing Department within Portsmouth City Council which accredits landlords.  The scheme is run to recognise landlords which offer good quality housing and have suitable management arrangements in place. It is supported by the Portsmouth and District Private Landlord Association, Hampshire Police, Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service and the University of Portsmouth.


How do I join ?

Simply fill in the application form online and we will be in touch.


What's in it for me?

Landlords get many different benefits from being a member.....

  • Advertise your properties online
  • Receive certificate reminders
  • Get regular updates on housing legisaltion that will concern you
  • Be assure your property is a good standard

Tenants can benefit from ....

  • Getting tenancy support
  • Viewing certificates associated with the property you rent
  • Knowing your landlord is accredited


I have a HMO Licence, why should I join?

Becoming a member will entitle you to a discount on your renewal licence fee.

The HMO licence checks are very similar to that of the Rent it Right scheme, however the scheme will help to further your knowledge and provide support when you require.

With the introduction of Additional Licensing in 2013 within PO1, PO4 and PO5 many landlords have spent a great deal of time and money bringing their properties up to standard and this should be acknowledged and rewarded.


Who can become accredited?

Any landlord who owns and rents out properties within Portsmouth (PO1-PO6). There is no requirement to live locally provided you have suitable management arrangements in place and can comply with the Rent it Right code of conduct. In order to become an accredited landlord you must also be deemed as a "Fit and Proper Person" .


What is a "fit and proper" person?

A person who has not committed any offences, or been subject to any proceedings brought by either a Local Authority or other body with regards to the Housing Act and other Housing legislation. This also includes any enforcement action taken with regards to HMOs. In addition any convictions relating to fraud, dishonesty, discrimination, drugs or sexual offences will also disqualify an applicant. We ask for disclosure from potential members to ensure that we safe-guard tenants from potentially criminal or bad practices. We also require members to have fully cooperated with the Private Sector Housing Service in any previous communications.

If as a potential member you have had any convictions relating to the above but would still like to be considered please contact the Rent it Right team by emailing [email protected] and we can discuss the suitability of the scheme with you.

We do have the right to refuse a potential member if we do not feel that they are a suitable candidate for accreditation based on previous involvements, and other matters.


What is the Rent it Right code of conduct?

The code requires landlords to conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times and respond promptly to all issues raised by tenants. For further information please read Code of conduct.


Do all properties have to be accredited?

Yes. Landlords who apply for accreditation must provide a list of all properties which they rent out within the private rental market within the Portsmouth area. Landlords will need to work to improve their whole portfolio as part of the accreditation. We will also ask if you rent out properties within other local authorities, and may for due diligence, contact them to ask if they have had any previous experience with the landlord.


Why should I use an accredited landlord? (Potential tenant)

All Landlords which are members of the scheme who we have assessed that they are Fit and Proper. The scheme requires members to act reasonably and responsibly towards tenants to ensure that the properties are in a good standard and are well maintained. All properties which are advertised on the site have been (or will be) inspected by an officer to ensure they are suitable and to the accredited standard and all relevant safety paperwork (Gas Safety Certificates, etc) have been received.


What if my accredited landlord doesn't deal with my complaint?

If you have a problem with your Rent it Right accredited property you should first contact your landlord. If the problem has not been resolved you should contact the Rent it Right team by emailing [email protected] who will arrange for a Housing Standards Officer to contact you and arrange to inspect the property.

The officer will carry out a full inspection and contact your landlord to arrange any works if it is required. Rent it Right expects landlords to deal with complaints promptly and be proactive with their response. Failure to cooperate with the Local Authority could result in the landlord being removed from the scheme and possible enforcement action.


Why do I have to do Continue Professional Development (CPD) ?

The scheme requires members to continue their professional development to allow them to operate their letting businesses more successfully, provide tenants with the safest and highest quality accommodation and reduce the requirement for Local Authority involvement.

This allows members to broaden their knowledge and skill set and become professionals in their area, we believe that knowledge is the key! We require members to gain 20 points per year, and this should be easy to achieve through various training and participation methods which we can inform of when you sign up.


What happens if I don’t complete my CPD requirement?

The CPD points requirement is set out to be easily achievable by completing seminars, workshops, involvement in feedback exercises, membership of other associations and other ways. If you are having problems achieving your required points please contact the scheme team. On your annual anniversary you should submit your CPD form to the team. If you fail to complete your points than the team has the right to terminate your membership.